Skip to main content

When a by the way thing turns into a Business!

A couple of months ago I decided to buy 15 chickens. I wasn’t even thinking about it as a business, but just to have chickens for keeping. I’m sure other people have also done that before. Just doing something for the sake of just doing it.

When starting I had very little knowledge about these birds. Little did I know I had purchased exotic and local birds.

I would feed them on scraps of food remains as well as number 3 meal. I only realized after some time that the chickens I had purchased do not sit on their eggs and I had a number of eggs that would get rotten due to this fact. Imagine having a number of chickens laying eggs and not having a single chick for over 4 months.

So I decided to purchase an incubator and changed my feeding program to village chicken feed and layer Mash.

I can testify the incubator has been a serious game changer and opened my eyes to incubation services being a lucrative business. The first time I loaded the incubator it was still empty and only put 35 eggs. The first chick hatched within 4 days of incubation due to the fact that the chicken was brooding before I placed it inside the incubator and I wasn’t even ready to keep chicks. So being prepared for anything is key.

Once I changed the feeding program to enhance egg laying. I saw that egg production increased.

The incubator is a 100 egg capacity and the hatching rate is about 80 to 85%. So the stock has greatly increased. From wondering how I will fill the incubator to wondering where I will put the collected eggs. It even has me wishing that I bought one with slightly bigger egg capacity. This journey has me learning so much.

With the new feeding program for my birds I collect about 9 to 12 eggs a day. By the end of the week I have 60 eggs ready for incubation.

After a week and a half I have 100+ eggs ready to incubate and this is only from the 9 to 13 eggs collected for one and a half week. This has shown me that the incubator of 100 egg capacity is already small. I’ve turned a by the way thing to have chickens into a business. We will soon have chicks and bigger birds for sale, we also have fertilized eggs.

This has taught me how to move steadily from small to medium scale in a space of 21 days. We are still hatching and growing.

Those interested in village chicken rearing and increasing your stocks without having to buy big birds or purchase day old birds all the time, I advise you to invest in an incubator. You will be amazed how far it will take you.

- Elizabeth Maanda Sianga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Cabbage in Zimbabwe and Zambia

Growing cabbage in Zimbabwe and Zambia requires careful consideration of the climate and soil conditions, as well as proper planting and care techniques. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to successfully grow cabbage in these regions. From the ideal temperature and soil pH requirements to pest and disease management, as well as harvesting and storage techniques, you will find all the information you need to cultivate healthy and abundant cabbage crops. Read on to discover the key takeaways from each section. Key Takeaways Understanding the ideal temperature and soil pH requirements is crucial for successful cabbage cultivation. Proper watering and irrigation techniques are essential for maintaining healthy cabbage plants. Choosing the right cabbage varieties for the specific region can significantly impact crop yield. Careful soil preparation, seed sowing, and transplanting techniques are important for successful cabbage planting. Effective pest and disease management ...

Staking and Pruning Tomatoes in the Home Garden

Staking and pruning tomatoes are essential practices for maintaining healthy tomato plants in the home garden. By selecting the right tomato varieties, preparing the garden properly, and employing the correct staking and pruning techniques, gardeners can ensure a bountiful harvest of delicious tomatoes. This article will provide key insights into staking and pruning tomatoes to help you achieve successful growth in your garden. Key Takeaways Select disease-resistant tomato varieties to prevent common plant diseases. Amend the soil with organic matter for optimal tomato growth and fruit production. Properly stake tomato plants to support their growth and prevent damage from heavy fruit loads. Regularly prune tomato plants to remove suckers and maintain airflow, which can improve fruit quality. Avoid over-pruning tomato plants as it can reduce yield and stress the plants. Selecting the Right Tomato Varieties Determining Your Growing Conditions ...

Chinese Cabbage Production

General Requirements Chinese does well in warm seasons of the year. Optimum temperatures for growing are 20ºC to 25ºC, with minimum temperatures of 18ºC and maximum 30ºC. A well-managed chinese crop should yield 5 tons per Lima with a leaf cutting period of 40 to 50 days. First leaves can be harvested 21 days after transplanting. Land Preparation/Soil Type Deep well-drained loamy soils with a pH range from 5.5 to 6.5 is ideal for Chinese cabbage. Effective rooting depth is 60cm. Plough and disc to a 60cm fine tilth seedbed. Avoid planting Chinese cabbage on land previously planted to other brassicas for at least one season. Planting and Transplanting Sow directly by drilling in the farrows 1 to 2cm deep or raise seedlings in nursery beds and transplant 4 to 5 weeks later. Transplant during the cool part of the day (early morning or late afternoon) to avoid wilting of the plants. Space the plants at 20cm between plants and 60cm between rows to give a plant population...